Wednesday, August 10, 2011

It's the most horrible week of the year..

When you work in a nursing home, the worst week of the entire year is when you have your annual state inspection. This consists of a team of surly looking nurses (in our case FIVE OF THEM) stalking your every move and pouring over all over your documentation for an entire week. They also tend to save up any complaints that are called into them by family members until this week.

Day One: Receive phone call approx 730 am.. "they're here". I immediately throw my phone and start cursing. Mom says "Jennifer! Watch your mouth!" I then start the phone tree calling everyone else to tell them to get their butts to work.

Arrive at work 8:00am. At 8:09Am I have already been in my bosses office and had my ass chewed out.

By 1030 AM my other social worker is crying in the corner.

At 1pm I tell my other social worker this is like hell week for the marines. A nurse says "No i date a marine and he quit working here because he said it was worse"

Tuesday: Relatively quiet, eerily so. Inspectors generally stay in their room and study over charts, we all pray that we didn't miss anything.

Wednesday: 830AM I arrive to work to find my boss has already chewed my ass before i even arrived for not arriving at 730..apparently i should have telepathically known to do this.

845Am I have my ass chewed by my boss for a very vague interpretation of "something negative" happening at a meeting. When pressed for details, she says nothing specific.

850Am I have my ass chewed by my boss for trying to come up with a system where we have family meetings in the afternoons so we can get other work done in the mornings (like assessments, discharges, calls, etc) after co-worker in our office throws myself and other social worker who have covered her butt many times throws us under the bus.

1230pm I have my ass chewed by the director of nursing who tells me "let me give you a lesson on writing in charts... you are NEVER to put my name in a chart, only my position". She then tries to blame me for her losing a complaint form. AWESOME. I try and remain calm as she talks to me like a 5 year old child but in a very very mean way.

1236pm I get a call from the admissions director asking me if I had my ass chewed because she heard the director of nursing hollering about that "social worker putting her name in the chart" all the way down the hallway. She asks me "didn't you learn about documentation in school?"

NEWSFLASH!!! I AM NOT A NURSE! SOCIAL WORKERS DO NOT LEARN ABOUT MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION IN SCHOOL!

I tell her to shut the **** up and leave me alone. This is okay because we are friends.

1pm. I have a nervous breakdown

130pm I am informed that director of nursing has told my boss I have been acting like a child even though throughout her insulting tirade I remained calm and did not even react.

I spend the rest of the day trying to fight my impulse to flee from the scene never to return.

OH and also I have SEVENTEEN people I have to discharge this week. That's right SEVENTEEN.

And my boss keeps asking me why I am in my office... well it's because I am trying to make sure all of these SEVENTEEN people leave the building! She is trying to insinuate that I am lazy and not out on the floor answering callbells. I do not appreciate this. I REALLY do not appreciate this.


I can only pray that the inspectors finish up tomorrow and leave early Friday. I can only handle one more full day of this otherwise I may end up in a mental hospital.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hope everything is over by now! I'm sure you did fine, you're a hard worker and always get your stuff and everyone else's stuff done. Sorry it was such a terrible week...if it makes you feel any better I'm about to start 6 weeks of OBGYN, which means a lot of nastiness :P. Miss you!

lauren. said...

Oh my goodness! This sounds AWFUL! Being a social worker is probably one of the hardest jobs. All you want to do is help people but people are constantly on your case. I live in NC now but i minored in SOWK and my boyfriend is finishing up his last year getting his MSW and he tells me horror stories! I'm guessing you went micro? I can't imagine! He just wants to do macro and do policy. So major props to you for all you put up with!!! Also thanks for following my blog :)

lauren (cancelingcant)