Friday, July 9, 2010

Blackberry Madness Pt. I

So down in these parts (and maybe in all parts) it is blackberry season. Thankfully my favorite blogger The Pioneer Woman posted a whole load of blackberry recipes and I only thought it was right that I try a couple out.

This first one..oh my. Our family ate at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for graduation recently and had this for dessert. I scoured the internet to no avail only to have my faithful Ree post the exact recipe a few weeks later.

Hallelujah.

IMG_4604
I used blackberries, strawberries and raspberries

IMG_4632
Are you drooling yet?

IMG_4633
What about now?

IMG_4636
Heaven!

Berries and Cream
From: Ree Drummond

Ingredients
  • 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 1 cup Sugar, Divided
  • 10 whole Egg Yolks (save The Whites For Another Use)
  • 2 teaspoons Good Vanilla Extract (or Vanilla Beans)
  • Fresh Berries
Preparation Instructions

Combine cream with half the sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a strong simmer, but don’t boil.

Whisk egg yolks in a bowl (I used my electric mixer w/ whisk attachment) with the other half of the sugar. Add vanilla extract. (If using vanilla bean instead, scrape caviar into cream/sugar mixture.)

After whisking on medium for a minute, begin slowly pouring in the hot cream; I use a metal measuring cup to scoop out small portions at a time.

After all cream is added, turn off mixer. Pour mixture into the top of a double boiler (or a glass bowl fitted over a saucepan). Cook in the double boiler over medium heat. Stir gently but constantly as the egg/cream mixture slowly thickens.

Watch the mixture: if it starts to really thicken up, remove it immediately from the heat. You want this to be more of a thick, pourable cream than a thick, heavy pudding texture. As soon as you remove the pan from the heat, set the bottom of it in a bowl of ice to stop the cooking process (but be careful not to let ice or water drip over the edge of the pan.) Stir to cool. If you need to use the cream right away, keep it in the ice bath and stir to cool.

Ideally, you’ll transfer the cream to a container and refrigerate it for several hours.

Spoon generously (!) over fresh berries. You’ll love it!


9 comments:

Dree said...

That looks amazing! That is one recipe I will have to try.

Have a great weekend!

Caitrin said...

yumm! that looks delicious! I will be trying this recipe soon!

The Everygirl said...

Mm.. so enticing. Definitely says summer in the best way. Can't wait for more recipes!

theTsaritsa said...

That looks delicious! It could be even better with a touch of rum or Bailey's added :)

Miss Puppy Love said...

Thanks for following my blog! I love yours and am officially following....now!

becca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
freckleonthenose said...

Yes, yes I am drooling now - that looks amazing!!

Love your blog - I'm your newest follower! Feel free to stop by mine if you'd like!

Joy said...

I just had blackberries for the first time and i enjoyed them. I was surprised because I'm very picky when it comes to fruit.

Yummy recipe =]

Kristen said...

This looks delicious and an awful lot like a dessert my dad used to make for my brother and I as kids called zabaglione. Is it the same?! I feel like it just might be!

Your photos are beautiful, and your blog is wonderful! I recently started following and I am highly enjoying it.