Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Black and White Revisited



My grandfather and grandmother were both teachers in Lincolnton for many years. After his death last december, we found out that the local high school was dedicating their football season to him. This picture was taken at that dedication ceremony, on a cool rainy football day. My grandmother was in tears most of the time, but really broke down on the way out, which is when I took this photo. I wanted to get her raw emotion, not because she was crying but because you could see on her face the pain she was feeling and it was kind of beautiful. At first, I was disappointed that the picture didn't capture her eyes, but after further thought, you can see it in her mouth, and her face and you know what she is feeling even without seeing the tears in her eyes.

No comments: