Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Jr.

I still get shivers when I watch this. I had someone tell me that racism doesn't exist anymore. My answer, after I got over the shock that someone actually believed that, was "well that is because you are a straight white male" (and obviously ignorant). Just because something doesn't affect you personally, it doesn't mean you shouldn't care about it. The person who said this will never be denied a place to live or a job or a raise or marriage or benefits because of his gender, sexual orientation or the color of his skin, but there are a hell of a lot of people who are. We have come a long way but we still have a long way to go as a country for equality to be achieved. Women today still don't make the same amount of money for the same job that men do. Today remembers someone who believed that equality is possible, that what is inside is what counts, and that we are all humans under the skin. But to me, this day is for ALL people who believe in equality and who believe in equal opportunities no matter your race, gender, orientation, origin, etc. So if you believe in equality, that men and women and ALL people have the right to equal access of opportunities and resources and even things like housing and health care, than this day is for you! Keep on believing!


2 comments:

Nikki said...

Jim and I really enjoyed seeing the MLK center in Atlanta last summer on the way home from the beach! Here is one of my favorite quotes from MLK - Forces that threaten to negate life must be challenged by courage, which is the power of life to affirm itself in spite of life's ambiguities. This requires the exercise of a creative will that enables us to hew out a stone of hope from a mountain of despair.

Merecogirl said...

What a beautiful quote!